I hit a bug last night which was due to mixing some ADO and DAO code within a VB form inside an Access 2007 database. This had been working well until I moved it on to a laptop that had SharePoint Designer 2010 and SharePoint 2010 in Development mode installed. The operating system is Windows 7 ultimate 64 Bit but SharePoint designer and all of My office 2007 components are 32 bit.
The error is simply that Access crashed (no error message just your database is being restarted) on a line in code where I was creating a new ado recordset.
Comparing the references to a to a working version of the database on a similar machine which has no Office 14 components I noticed that the DAO or ACE reference was set to Microsoft Office 14 Access Database Engine Object Library on the working machine it was set to Microsoft Office 12 Access Database Engine Object Library. No problem I thought I would reset the reference to the 12 version. I navigated to the ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\acedao.dll’ and it seemed to accept it but when I look at the references it has referenced 14 again.
Mixing dao (ace) and ado isn’t wise so I removed the ado code and the database is now working on the laptop with SharePoint Designer installed.To be sure I have removed all ado code I simply removed the reference to the Microsoft ActiveX data objects library ran a debug compile and fixed the errors by replacing ado with dao code.